Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Today is the Sabbath (Sunday) and we have the early church so when we got home, I made a simple lunch and decided to tell you about my day. Our bishop is so inspired we had our joint meeting and it was on preparedness as well as managing our finances like deciding WHAT IS A WANT AND WHAT IS A NEED. I don't know how many times I have heard this or read it or something like that but now all of my wants are turning into needs and now if not sooner. I know that I don't want plastic surgery or the new laser treatment. A really cute girl (45) in our ward who teaches our gospel doctrine class decided she was getting far too many wrinkles so she had laser treatment on her face. She looked like she had a terrible sunburn on her face and it was smeared with a heavy greasy stuff and she had her hair pulled back and tied up and she said she felt that she couldn't handle her wrinkles anymore.....well I guess this is better than cutting into her and pulling all of her skin up tight and then taking time to heal. I know that she wouldn't be able to laught or cry or anything or her face would crack. I definitely would be in trouble.

I guess I am past the vanity stage and what you see is what you get and I am just darn glad to be healthy. I guess this really bothered me with her having this done because she is such a pretty girl. Oh wellll. I may have to eat my words sometime because stuff does come back to haunt us. Love you all and I do think all of you are beautiful.

I am looking forward to your next blog.

As far as storage is concerned I have shelves full of stuff and that is a good place for grandkids to come and pick out whatever they want as far as canned goods are concerned. Remember in the 70's the push in our ward was to buy up bulk - dry milk, wheat, rice, sugar, and big cans of honey - oh my gosh these big cans were so heavy that we could not even lift them. As far as the milk we did have to throw it away. The wheat will feed quite a few people and it is packed in sealed cans. There is a caution about this though, it will make you really sick if you think you can live on this alone without preparing your body to take this in. Now there is more sense in the storage and store what you will use and eat. We do want to be obedient to the prophet and this is what counts. Get your cases of diet pepsi or coke and plenty of snack food such as snicker bars, hershey bars, cookies (soft kind) and lots of handy wipes, paper towels, and lots of soap and a big bucket to do everything with. We keep waiting for something to happen. This is a scary thought.

Got to wake Wendall up so he can get ready for his Priesthood meeting that is at 5 pm.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sounds like you had a good day at church. We have a new building that we meet at. It was dedicated a couple weeks ago. It is so pretty. It looks just like my parents building in Tennessee. The first sunday I walked into the chapel I thought I was in Tennessee. I actually looked around the room for a second wondering where my parents were sitting. I have so much to blog about. I'm hoping to update tonight after the kids go to bed. Love ya!

Michael said...

Grandma, it's good to see a new blog! I always wonder what college students are supposed to do to stock up...BYU better have a lot of food stocked up somewhere for us, 'cause I know that Tennessee is a little far away to feed me in an emergency!

Unknown said...

We're in trouble if there's a big disaster...we have a 72-hour kit that my parents gave us, and two big things of water, but that's about it. I guess it's time to get prepared!

Diane said...

So...what I want is a souped up little convertible...and what I need is wheat??? Sounds like I need to figure out how the sports car can get me the heck out of Dodge in an emergency to get it on the "need" list. I used some of my wheat storage several years ago to make bean bags for my Honestyville primary activity. It was a good way to use it, and it didn't make me sick. If I think hard enough, I can give many tips for using food storage...I'm just a wealth of information in that area!

Susie said...

I'm always worried what will the dogs eat if we have a disaster- maybe I better get my priorities in line! I also always think if you got rid of the wrinkles on your face all the things that happened to you in your life- good, bad, happy, sad- that put the wrinkles there wouldn't be there for others to see and for you to look in the mirror and remember!! I guess a funny way to look at it but it always makes me feel better when I see a new wrinkle and realize that a life experience put it there!